Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cashback Splashback

I've been thinking about the splashback in the kitchen. We have decided to go for tiles. They are traditional and are probably the cheapest option (aherm... I mean an inexpensive solution).
But you know what, I think they really ARE the best choice regardless of the cost. One (expensive) suggestion we've had, is to put wallpaper behind a glass splashback. I think this would look good, really uber trendy but uber pricey and besides, our unit isn't going for uber chic, more like retro cool meets modern science lab with a touch of Scandinavian sleek.

Something else I've seen is a mirrored splashback. I reckon the only people who have a mirrored splashback are those that don't cook or those that have a full time cleaner, because they are a pain in the backside to keep clean. You'd expect it'd be those that had the dollars to spend too, because I've heard this is the most expensive option. We stayed in a boutique hotel room once that had a mirrored splashback behind the kitchenette. It made me realise how impractical it was.

Anyway, back to the tiles. You'll have to click on the image to enlarge it to see the layout ideas. (The green is just to see the pattern. We will probably buy white tiles.)
For a while we were considering large tiles. Maybe marble. Yes marble. There's bargains if you know where to look and if have the patience of a stalking lion ready to attack a zebra, then you shall receive. So anyway, we have decided this doesn't work. They're not bright enough and wont match the benchtop.




Number 1 and 2 are similar. I DO like number 1. The brick pattern is bistro cool, and timeless I think, but maybe a bit too country farmhouse. Two words I never want to be involved in are "shabby chic" and "country farmhouse" lives dangerously close. Next door infact. This tile and brick look is everywhere now too so not sure if I want to follow the craze.

I really like the elongated tile in number two and keeping the tile brick pattern nods to the bistro but there's something a little 70's retro about it that I like. These tiles are generally inexpensive too but at $35 a square meter, its almost twice the price of the standard brick shape from diagram 1 (only $20 p/sm). I worked it out though and we'll need less than 4 meters easy so we don't need to buy much.

Are you as grossed out as I am by the layers of grout that's between the original tiles? It's like a clogged up sewer. The renaissance still-life feature tile is NOT doing it for me either nor is the yellowed power socket. I've lost my appetite. Here's a glimpse of the elongated tile from a sample I got from down the road at Classic Tiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment