Thursday, December 9, 2010

Get a Handle on it

We have thought about handles for a little while and even though they seem like a small and silly thing to dwell on, they can actually make or break a kitchen. Trust me, I have seen many a disaster kitchen from Google image search to justify the fuss. So many kitchens could have looked good if they didn't make such awful choices on handles. We're teaming up the handles with our current accessories. The fridge is a little retro, the oven and tap have curved, rounded knobs but we still want to keep things pretty minimal. We are being drastic and selecting two different handles. Apparently this is not the normal thing to do, but I am convinced this will look good.

So the cabinets above will have a sneaky little pulley type knob that sits on the edge of the door and is attached from the inside of the door. The drawers need something a little stronger, more sturdy. They will have a curved corner slightly stocky (not so elongated or square). They give the cabinets a bit of a retro feel which I think will give the kitchen a bit more personality. You'll see what I mean when I show you the pictures of the handles attached.

PS: We are buying our handles from United Kitchen Co. They have been very friendly. They make and install kitchens and sell a big range of entry doors, bedroom doors etc. There's a guy there called Phil, good customer service. He has the same thumbs as me which is really rare. There are specialty shops that only sell handles and door knobs. One in Leichhardt too, though they're rude - and pricey too I believe. (These things seem to go hand in hand I've noticed).
See so it goes to show the importance of handles, you can find such a huge range and shops dedicated to them!




No comments:

Post a Comment